socialmedia optimization(SMO) is the use of a number of outlets and communities to generate publicity to increase the awareness of a product, service brand or event. Types of social media involved include RSS feeds, social news and bookmarking sites, as well as social networking sites, such as Facebook,Twitter, video sharing websites and blogging sites. SMO is similar to search engine optimization, in that the goal is to generate web traffic and to a site and increase awareness for a website. In general, social media optimization refers to optimizing a website and its content to encourage more users to use and share links to the website across social media and networking sites. SMO also refers to software tools that automate this process, or to website experts who undertake this process for clients.
social networking websites like Facebook, Twitter etc. are gaining immense popularity among leading website owners to employ these outlets for attracting traffic. This sort of promotion of a website is a part of the social media optimization and also enhances the search engine rankings for a website, adding value to the E-branding efforts.
Social media optimization for a website has impact over the rankings for a website as search engines have started acquiring data from social media sites and showing them into search results.
As marketing of a business is of high importance and is usually considered as the most prominent aspect of business strategy, large as well as small companies rely on creative & innovative marketing tools. The online businesses need all sort of marketing tactics to achieve their targets and to market their products and services in an efficient manner. In this extremely competitive online world, social media has become an ‘in thing’ and is sure to last long.
Social media helps to create a unique identity of a website and helps in promoting the product/ services offered by it in an efficient manner. It provides a social exposure and adds an advantage to the SEO services being implemented to a website.
- Increase your linkability– This is the first and most important priority for websites. Many sites are “static” – meaning they are rarely updated and used simply for a storefront. To optimize a site for social media, we need to increase the linkability of the content. Adding a blog is a great step, however there are many other ways such as creating white papers and thought pieces, or even simply aggregating content that exists elsewhere into a useful format.
- Make tagging and bookmarking easy– Adding content features like quick buttons to “add to del.icio.us” are one way to make the process of tagging pages easier, but we go beyond this, making sure pages include a list of relevant tags, suggested notes for a link (which come up automatically when you go to tag a site), and making sure to tag our pages first on popular social bookmarking sites (including more than just the homepage).
- Reward inbound links– Often used as a barometer for success of a blog (as well as a website), inbound links are paramount to rising in search results and overall rankings. To encourage more of them, we need to make it easy and provide clear rewards. From using Permalinks to recreating Similarly, listing recent linking blogs on your site provides the reward of visibility for those who link to you.
- Help your content travel– Unlike much of SEO, SMO is not just about making changes to a site. When you have content that can be portable (such as PDFs, video files and audio files), submitting them to relevant sites will help your content travel further, and ultimately drive links back to your site.
- Encourage the mashup– In a world of co-creation, it pays to be more open about letting others use your content (within reason). YouTube’sidea of providing code to cut and paste so you can imbed videos from their site has fueled their growth. Syndicating your content through RSS also makes it easy for others to create mashups that can drive traffic or augment your content.